Please note: Due to an unexpected temporary shortage of staff and volunteers, museum and/or library operating hours may be curtailed in late May – early June. If you are planning to visit, it would be prudent to call ahead (518) 295-7192. We apologize for the inconvenience.
The Old Stone Fort Museum Complex celebrates and preserves the rich, historic legacy of NewYork’s beautiful Schoharie Valley. Buildings include an early 1700s home, a 1780s Dutch barn, an 1830s law office, and an 1890s one-room schoolhouse as well as the 1772 stone church that was fortified and attacked by British forces in 1780.
The Old Stone Fort was built in 1772 as a church. During the American Revolution, it was fortified by enclosing the stone church within a wooden stockade. In 1780 the fort was attacked by an army of 800 Loyalists and Indians. The building is now owned by Schoharie County.
The Schoharie County Historical Society has been operating the Fort as a museum for more than 125 years, preserving it and other historic structures. The Society has a collection of more than 50,000 artifacts related to the history of Schoharie County; maintains a research library and a local genealogy collection; publishes a semi-annual local history magazine; and offers a wide range of educational and recreational activities. Society offices are in the William Badgley Museum, across the street from the Old Stone Fort.
Our website is sponsored by the Schoharie County Historical Society in support of its educational mission and the Old Stone Fort museum complex in Schoharie, New York. The Society is a membership organization chartered as a museum by the New York State Department of Education, and is tax-exempt under section 501(c)3 of the Internal Revenue Code.
For the latest updates, visit our Facebook page at Facebook.com/oldstonefort.